Eggless Sponge Cake
Ingredients Vegan margarine, for greasing 250 grams / 9 oz self-raising whole meal flour 2 tsp baking powder 175 grams / 6 oz caster sugar 6 tbsp sunflower oil 225 ml / 8 fl oz water 1 tsp vanilla essence 4 tbsp strawberry or raspberry reduced-sugar spread Caster sugar, for dusting 0.5 liter Non dairy cream for frosting Directions
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 350 Farenheit / gas mark4. Grease 2 x 20-cm / 8-inch sandwich tins and line them with baking paper.
- Sift the self-raising flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, stirring in any bran remaining in the sieve. Stir in the caster sugar.
- Pour in the sunflower oil, water and vanilla essence. Mix well with a wooden spoon for about 1 minute until the mixture is smooth, then divide between the prepared tins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the center of each cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Leave the sponge cake to cool slightly in the tins before turning them out and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Remove the baking paper and place one sponge cake on a serving plate. Frost it with the non dairy cream filled with reduced-sugar spread and place the other sponge on top.